Hi Dr. Steve Knighton here from Glen Abbey Physiotherapy here in Oakville. Thank you for joining us again for another healthy living tip from our Live Pain Free series. In today’s health tip we are going to talk about stretching your piriformis and glutes.
Today we are going to show you a piriformis and glutes stretch with Stephanie. We recommend this stretch to all our healthy patients and this can be done as a preventative stretch but especially good if you are experiencing a little bit of pain. We are going to show you 2 variations of this stretch to help you loosen up the butt and lower back region.
- First take a position lying flat on your back ( if you are in pain and need something to lay on, that’s fine as well )
- Next bend one leg over the other leg connecting your ankle to your knee.
- Take your hands and reach through and under your crossed leg and grab your straight leg behind your knee.
- You pull gently back toward your chest. You can keep your straight leg bent at the knee if you like. If you want to be a little more advanced you can straighten the leg up towards the ceiling. You want to hold the stretch for about 30 seconds. Now, as you gently pull back you should feel the stretching right in the side of your butt (glute) muscle and maybe even into your lower back. If you notice a shooting pain down your leg when you do this STOP IMMEDIATELY ! We recommend you immediately seek the advice of a medical professional.
- Stop, change leg positions and do the other side. Repeat this 3 times on each side.
Now for people in crippling lower back pain and can’t do too much stretching at all. What we recommend is:
- Move close to a wall while lying on your back. Close enough that you can put one foot up on the wall so that your leg is at a 90 degree angle.
- Now take the other leg and cross it so that your ankle connects with the opposite knee. In this case you would not feel as much of a stretch, but if your in pain that’s fine. Only try to stretch about 30 to 40% of your max to make sure you don’t over do it. You will be able to hold this position longer. We suggest holding for 3 – 4 minutes, you can do this while watching t.v.
- Change sides and repeat 3 times on each side.
Again this is the piriformis and glutes stretch. We recommend everyone do this stretch on a daily basis for back pain prevention.
Want more healthy living tips like this ?
Be sure to sign up for our free educational series about living a healthier pain free life.
Simply click there now => Get My Live Pain Free Video Series
If you or a family member need immediate treatment for pain or injury please call us right away to schedule an appointment 905-827-3593.